Hautvillers, cradle of Champagne

Literally meaning “High Village,” Hautvillers lies at the top of the hillsides of the Marne Valley. It was at the height of the Middle Ages that Archbishop Saint-Nivart established a Benedictine Abbey here that would continue to prosper until the Revolution.
Dom Pérignon arrived here in 1658 as acéllérier, a monk in charge of Abbey finances. He will mark the history of Champagne forever by revolutionizing production techniques along with other monks.