The Counts of Champagne

The reign of the Counts of Champagne began in 956 and extended until 1284, when, with no descendants, the County of Champagne was reintegrated into the Kingdom of France. At the instigation of the Counts, fairs in the Champagne region grew. Between Bar-sur-Aube and Provins, four large fairs became well known throughout Europe, ensuring the area’s prosperity as well as its political influence and its ability to support religious orders and crusades. The Court of Champagne also became the stage for artistic expression of the era. Thibaud IV, a Count of Champagne from 1222 to 1253, was without a doubt the preeminent incarnation of this aspect of the County’s influence.