- Participating nations: Belgium, France, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
- A candidate working in a country not featured on this list of participating nations may enter the contest. If this candidate is selected, he or she will be called upon to compete in one of the French selection events.
- Ages 24-39, with a minimum of 8 years in the profession and currently employed ina restaurant.
- A candidate, irrespective of his nationality, must apply under the country where hepractices. If selected, he will then represent that country at the international competition.
- All candidates must work alone and only one candidate shall be admitted per restaurant or establishment.